Made from crushed stone, Ballast aggregate material is mainly used in the construction of rail tracks. Found below, between and around the rail sleepers or ties, it serves a number of purposes that include:
- Drainage of water around the tracks.
- Providing uniform support.
- Anchoring the track.
- Bearing and transmitting the load from the railroad ties.
- Preventing vegetation growth.
- Resisting aggregate degradation
- Minimising climatic influence
- Facilitating maintenance
- Resisting fouling
- Strong and hard wearing
- Easy to clean
- Correct shape
- Low flakiness index